Palos Verdes

Peninsula

Palos Verdes Estates

      The City of Palos Verdes Estates, incorporated December 20, 1939, is the oldest of the four cities on the Palos Verdes Peninsula.

     New York financier Frank A. Vanderlip, Sr. purchased the land from the Bixby family in 1913 with the idea of building a planned, residential community. The new community was laid out and landscaped by the famous Olmsted Brothers, sons of Frederick Law Olmsted, Sr., who designed Central Park in New York City. Gently winding roadways, green hillsides, paths, stands of eucalyptus, pepper, and coral trees were established, and a full 28% of the land area was dedicated to be permanent open space. This early planning and dedication of parklands gives the city its unique rural character and has resulted in its international reputation for scenic beauty.

     Vanderlip's plans were slowed by World War I, but subdivision of the land and construction of the first Spanish style homes in what is today Palos Verdes Estates began in the early 1920's. Deed restrictions were imposed on the land in 1923, when Bank of America, as trustee for Vanderlip's Palos Verdes Project, drafted a trust indenture and outlined provisions for development. The area was unincorporated and governed by the Palos Verdes Homes Association, which was liable for taxes on all parkland. After the economic crash in 1929, the Association owed taxes to Los Angeles County and residents. They were concerned that parklands might be sold for payment, hence, in 1939 they voted for city incorporation. In 1940, the parklands were deeded by the Homes Association to the new city.

     Over the years, the City's governance has been guided by the vision of the original founders with an emphasis on preserving, protecting and enhancing the quality of life and natural assets that make Palos Verdes Estates unique.

Rancho Palos Verdes

     Rancho Palos Verdes (also known by the abbreviation RPV) is a city of Los Angeles County, California atop the Palos Verdes Hills and bluffs of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. An affluent suburb of Los Angeles, it is known for a large tracts of open space and expansive views of the Pacific Ocean. Rancho Palos Verdes is translated as "Ranch of Green Sticks", probably reffering to the willows in the northeastern part of Bixby Slough (now known as Machado Lake) shown on earlier maps.

     The history of Rancho Palos Verdes dates back to the Tongva or Gabriellino Indians, who inhabited the site before the Age of Discovery. Spanish explorer Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo was credited as the first European to navigate the California Coast in 1542, which included the Hills of Rancho Palos Verdes. Rancho de los Palos Verdes was established by a mexican land grant given in 1846 by Governor Pio Pico to Jose Loreto and Juan Capistrano Sepulveda.

     The city's most notable geographic features are the Palos Verdes Hills and cliffs, with grand vistas of the Pacific Ocean and of Santa Catalina Island. The city incorporated on September 7, 1973. The population was 41,643 at the 2010 census.

     The point Vicente Interpretive Center is a premier whale-watching site that provides spectacular opportunities to view the annual migration of the Pacific gray whale from December through April. The center opened in 1984 with a mission to present and interpret the unique features and history of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. The almost 10,000-square-foot (930m²) expanded Interpretive Center, reopened on July 15, 2006, features exhibits on the natural and cultural history of the Peninsula, with a special emphasis on the Pacific gray whale. The Point Vicente Lighthouse, built in 1926, is adjacent to the center and is on the National Registrer of Historic Places. At another location along the coast, Wayfarers Chapel, designed by Lloyd Wright and built between 1949 and 1951, is also on the National Registrer of Historic Places.

     The Portuguese Bend landslide, one of the largest continuously moving landslides in North America, is located along the southern coastal area. Together with the Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy in 2009, the city completed the acquisition of a total of two square miles of open space, the Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, the largest preserve of coastal open space north of San Diego and south of santa Barbara. The site of the former Marineland of the Pacific (1954-87) was redeveloped and is now occupied by the Terranea Resort, which opened in June 2009. The city is also home to trump National Golf Course, one of eleven in the Trump portfolio of courses. The Salvation Army's School for Officer Training is located in Rancho Palos Verdes.

     As with other cities on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, the city has had to find ways to control the population of wild peafowl. Franck A. Vanderlip spearheaded a group that bought 16,000 acres (6,500 ha) and began development of the peninsula. He is credited with introducing the birds here around 1910. Some residents say the birds ruin their gardens, wake them up in the middle of the night with screetching, and defecate in their yards.

Rolling Hills

      Rolling Hills is an affluent city on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, in Los Angeles County, California.

     As of the 2010 census, the city population was 1,860, down from 1,871 at the 2000 census. Rolling Hills consists of a single 24 hour guard-gated community with private roads that are only accessible through the city's three entry gates. Residents work, shop, attend school, and obtain other services in the other towns on the Palos Verdes Peninsula as the only commercially zoned land within the city is occupied by the Rolling Hills city Hall and rolling City Hills Community Association. The community was developed by A.E. Hanson, who also developed Hidden Hills.

     Incorporated in 1957, Rolling Hills maintains a rural and equestrian paths along streets and property lines. Homes are single-story 19th century California ranch or Spanish haciendasexemplified by architect Wallace Neff and are required to have white exterior paint. Homeowners are also required to maintain horse property on their lots, or at minimum keep land where stalls could be built. Rolling Hills has the third highest median house value in the United States.

     The city borders Rolling Hills Estates to the north and Rancho Palos Verdes on all other sides (including the empty Portuguese Bend landslide area to the south).

Rolling Hills Estates

      The City of Rolling Hills Estates officially became Los Angeles County's 60th municipality on September 18, 1957. In that first year, the City's population totaled only 3,500, but its new citizens were united in their concern over maintaining the community's rural atmosphere and equestrian lifestyle, characterized by rolling hills, white fences, bridle trails and vast open spaces.

      The City was also concerned in its early years with annexation of new areas. In 1959, the City added the Montecillo, Chandler Quarry, Country Club Estates and nothern Masongate areas to its eastern and western portions. Between 1960 and 1966, the City annexed the research and development land behind the Northrop Corporation; the Peninsula Center, Harbor Sight, the Ranch, Rolling Hills Park Estates, Highridge, Hillcrest Manor, Hillcrest Meadows, terraces, and Cresta Verdes areas. Finally, in 1982, the City added the site of the former palos Verdes Landfill to assure that concerns regarding this closed facility would be recognized.

      Today, there are 30 neighborhood areas within the community, each with its own special character, architectural style, and Homeowners' Association. These Associations often represent citizens directly before the City Council and serve as neighborhood social organization as well.

      While the community has undergone changes over the years, the City continues to represent the basic ideals held by the original "incorporating pioneers" while remaining responsive to the changing needs and interests of its residents. The City takes an active role in maintaining the high quality of life that makes this community such an attractive place to live. As in the past, today's emphasis in managing the City is placed upon preserving its rural residential character and, at the same time, providing the best possible services to its citizens.

Important Numbers - Palos Verdes Estates :


City Hall .............................................. (310) 378-0383
Chamber of Commerce ........................... (310) 377-8111
Art Jury Homes Association ...................... (310) 373-6721
Fire Department ..................................... (310) 373-6539
Police Department .................................. (310) 378-4211
Verizon (phone) ..................................... (800) 483-3000
Cox Cable ........................................... (310) 377-1800
So. CA Edison ...................................... (800) 655-4555
So. CA Gas Co. ................................... (800) 427-2200
CA Water Service Co. ........................... (310) 257-1400
Athens Services (waste) ........................... (888) 336-6100
Main Post Office .................................... (310) 541-0624

Important Numbers - Rancho Palos Verdes (RPV) :

City Hall .............................................. (310) 377-0360
Chamber of Commerce ........................... (310) 377-8111
Fire Department ..................................... (310) 377-9523
Sheriff’s Department ................................ (310) 539-1661
Verizon (phone) ..................................... (800) 483-3000
Cox Cable ........................................... (310) 377-1800
So. CA Edison ...................................... (800) 655-4555
So. CA Gas Co. ................................... (800) 427-2200
CA Water Service Co. ........................... (310) 257-1400
Parks and Recreation .............................. (310) 544-5260
EDCO Disposal ..................................... (310) 540-2977
Universal Waste Systems ......................... (800) 631-7016
Main Post Office ................................... (310) 541-0624

Important Numbers - Rolling Hills :

City Hall .............................................. (310) 377-1521
Community Association ........................... (310) 544-6222
Fire Department ..................................... (310) 377-1584
Sheriff’s Department ................................ (310) 539-1661
Verizon (phone) ..................................... (800) 483-3000
AT&T ................................................... (888) 288-2020
Cox Cable ........................................... (310) 377-1800
So. CA Edison ...................................... (800) 655-4555
So. CA Gas Co. ................................... (800) 427-2200
CA Water Service Co. ........................... (310) 257-1400
Allied Waste Service .............................. (888) 742-5234
Library ................................................. (310) 377-9584

Important Numbers - Rolling Hills Estates :

City Hall .............................................. (310) 377-1577
Chamber of Commerce ........................... (310) 377-8111
Fire Department ..................................... (310) 377-9523
Sheriff’s Department ................................ (310) 539-1661
Verizon (phone) ..................................... (800) 483-3000
Cox Cable ........................................... (310) 377-1800
So. CA Edison ...................................... (800) 655-4555
So. CA Gas Co. ................................... (800) 427-2200
CA Water Service Co. ........................... (310) 257-1400
Waste Management .............................. (310) 677-6500
Main Post Office ................................... (310) 541-0624
Tennis Club .......................................... (310) 541-4585

More informations about Palos Verdes Peninsula :

City of Palos Verdes

www.palosverdes.com

Palos Verdes Chamber of Commerce

www.palosverdeschamber.com

Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District

www.pvpusd.k12.ca.us/

TERI HAWKINS

Cell: 310 251-3850

terihawkinspv@gmail.com

63 Malaga Cove Plaza, Palos Verdes Estates, CA 90274

BRE #1195117

Contact us
  • Teri Hawkins - Selling Paradise
  • Teri Hawkins
  • Teri Hawkins mail